Anticonformity & Self-Worth

Our third weekly meeting of His Girl saw us finishing up our discussion from the previous week on Anticonformity and completing the lesson on Self-Worth. We revisited the story of Shadrach, Meshach & Abednigo in Daniel 3. Young men, just teenagers, who were unwilling to conform to the pattern of the world risked their lives to take a stand. Would we be willing to do the same?

And then we talked about self-worth, looking at Psalm 139: 13-14, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Ah, one of my favorite verses. It has reminded me many times that my value is found Him who made me, not the opinions of the world. It broke my heart to hear so many of our young ladies admitting (& I'm sure some feel this way, but didn't admit it) that they struggle with their self-worth & self-image...beating themselves up (mentally) when they miss a goal during basketball practice, how they critique themselves in the mirror and they way they torment themselves when they lose a softball game.

And I was convicted about how VERY important it is for me to set a better example for these and my own daughters. Too often I have been guilty of looking in the mirror & verbalizing the negative things I see, rather than praising God for all that He has done for me.

Labels: ,